September OIWC Luncheon

at Thursday, September 13, 2018

Thursday, September 13, 2018


"Bringing the world closer one women at a time."
The Okinawa International Women's Club is an organization made up of women from all over the world who gather at monthly events to promote friendship and cultural exchange while at the same time raising funds and awareness for different charities all over the Pacific Realm.  The OIWC is a non-profit organization that has been around for 60 years.  In those years, the organization has donated food, clothing, money and many other items to those in need.

I decided the best way to immerse myself into the Japanese culture would be to join or attend as many groups as possible.  I am taking a week long language class next week and yesterday I attending my first Okinawa International Women's Club luncheon.  They urged you to wear a Yukata (summer kimono).  A lot of the local stores carry them and there are actually lots of accessories to go along with them.   I only purchased what they lady told me to buy (numbers 1, 2, 3, and 6).  There were some beautiful yukatas and the one I really wanted was 17, 400 Yen ($155), which was for the yuk at and Obi only, but I figured I would probably only wear this a couple of times, so I opted for a much cheaper one.  
 I arrived an hour and a half early to get in line for help getting dressed.  There were about 10 Japanese ladies helping us put these all together.  The yuk at is super long, but they hike it all up and fold in down with the kosihomo ties.  My bow was remade, but they would tie your obi if you needed made into a bow.
You were supposed to wear your hair up off of your neck and lots of other women had really pretty bows and flowers in their hair.
I know my scoliosis is bad, but every so often I can really see just how off my hips and shoulders are.
I was actually pretty comfortable, but after eating a bit, you could tell it was feeling tighter.
 The meal was brought out and set on a lazy Susan for easy access.
Salad with seafood on top.  
All of the dishes had special names and I wish I would have taken a picture of the menu.
 Sliced chicken over potato salad with mango sauce
 Some kind of fish in tomato sauce.
 Vegetable rice pilaf (in the back, I forgot to get a picture) and ground beef wrapped in chicken with vegetables.  
 Benimo cheesecake and coffee.
 This was our table of ladies.  
 We were entertained by a flower dance and then they taught us all a  dance .
I am looking forward to being placed into a culture group.  Out of all of the members of this group, they try to place you into small groups according to where you live.  They will be made up of half Japanese, half Americans.  You will have fun together, eating out, learning crafts and volunteering in the community.   

0 comments: